I started out at my grandmother’s knee, cutting holes in a khaki sock to make a sweater for Baby Bear. Childhood fascination with colour followed. Navy blue with dark and light green, done in small pencil crayon circles for the scenery behind ballet dancers in colouring books. Wow.
Then it was perspective. Then the human face. By 2007 I was stitching wall hangings and agape at the marvels of the art quilt. It’s been texture and stitch since then.
Now I cover driftwood and stone with seed beads. I create cartoon cards with hand- and machine-stitch. Oven mitts, place mats, rag rugs, raggedy knit dolls–they’re filling my studio as fast as straw turns to gold. Hmm–straw to gold–is that eco-friendly? It sure turns left-overs and discards into things of beauty. I’m all over that!
In my next life I’m going to be a film-maker–that’s after a lifetime of joy in a theatre costume department, right here where I now live, I hope, with mountains and sea and the whole wild world for inspiration.
- c. 1980: Masks: Canadian Craft Museum show, curated by Ann Rosenberg.
- 2009: Sunshine Coast Quilters’ Guild: jewellery.
- 2011: Sunshine Coast Quilters’ Guild, as member of Out of Bounds.
- 2009 – 2013: One-0-One Office Supply, Sechelt, BC.
- Jan 2012: “Obsessions,” Sunshine Coast Arts Centre, Sechelt, BC.
- Feb 6 – Mar 3, 2013: Sechelt Art Centre, Sechelt BC.
- One-o-One Office Supply, Sechelt, B.C., April/May 2013.
- May 2013: Out of Bounds group was Featured Artist at the Sunshine Coast Quilt Guild show.
- July/August 2013: Out of Bounds at Leigh Square Gallery, Port Coquitlam, BC.
- July 24 – Sept 29, 2013: part of “Paradise Lost?” at the Museum of Anthropology, University of British Columbia.
- Jan 2014: Sunshine Coast Arts Centre, Sechelt BC.
- April 5 – May 25, 2014: “Fabrications,” Fibreworks Gallery, Pender Harbour, BC.
- Aug 2014: Feature Artist with Trisha Joel at the Landing Gallery.